Thursday, August 28, 2008

Warning: Serious Post!

I will get back to detailing our recent trip to South Texas post haste, but I had to write and process an event that took place today.

I performed my first funeral for a still-born child, and if I never have to do another one, I will rejoice.

It's not that I had a difficult time handling the service or anything. I mean, God has called me to be a pastor for a reason, and I could literally sense Him giving me the strength to preach and offer a word of hope for this family who lost their boy at 31 weeks. In fact, I consider it quite an honor that God would choose me to walk into a family's life, in one of the darkest moments possible, and have an opportunity to shine a little bit of God's light. It's a bit overwhelming.

But that's the professional side of me. There is a personal side as well. I don't know how many out there who read this blog have ever experienced seeing that tiny casket sitting at the front of a church or a funeral home, but it's sobering-to say the least. Every parent's worst nightmare is that something bad will happen to their child. When Dawna was pregnant with Kevin, Jr. I wrestled with worries constantly. Sure, I knew that we had been given a tremendous gift from God, but there is always that chance that something will happen. For this couple, it did. They still don't know why; which can be even more frustrating.

Just before the service began, the couple chose to have a Kenny Chesney song played that talked about a youngster being taken before it was time. As the song progressed and spoke about the dreams that a parent has for his/her child, I teared up. What a nightmare to have such a thing happen. As a parent, my heart strings were yanked on terribly, and I could only imagine what this couple sitting 20 feet away was going through. I hope and I pray that I never have to experience such a thing.

I will be taking this afternoon off. I'm going to spend it with my kids. I know it may sound trite, but any parent who is reading this blog today, if you have the opportunity to hug your kids today-do it. Cherish that moment. There are parents out there who would love to do the same thing, but they aren't getting the chance to do it. Even though those kids can test your patience, run you ragged, keep you awake at night, invent ways to push your buttons and shove on the boundaries, they are still precious gifts. Don't let seeing a children's casket remind you of that fact.

No comments: