Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Remembering a Cousin

The final Sunday that we were on vacation in Arkansas, I got an email from one of my cousins in Seguin, TX. His mom had died from bi-lateral pneumonia. She was a member of the congregation that I served in Seguin, and because I was family, they wanted me to return and participate in her funeral. I gladly agreed.

I had gotten to know Eva Haug decently, but nowhere to the point that I wanted to. Her funeral made me wish I had taken more time to get to know this woman who married into our family. One story will illustrate this.

Deb Haug, who also married into the family told the following story about her son, Oni:

One day, Oni (who was a teenager, if I recall correctly) was down the road playing basketball with his girlfriend. His girlfriend had an annoying little sister who made a pest of herself the entire time Oni and his girlfriend were trying to play. Oni became frustrated at this little "brat" and took actions into his own hands. He mooned her ( ! ).

Later that afternoon, Deb and Mike received a phone call from the little girl's mother. She was not happy with Oni's behavior in the least. She demanded an apology and discipline of Oni.

Deb and Mike obliged. They made Oni go down the street and apologize, and they grounded him.

In the evening, Deb and Mike went over to Eva and Lawrence's house (they lived right behind them). Deb "made the mistake" of telling Eva what Oni had done.

In a few minutes, Eva saw Oni headed over to her house to join the party. To quote Deb, "I looked over and saw that Eva had that twinkle in her eye, and I knew something bad was going to happen. She looked over at Lawrence, and I became even more worried when I saw that Lawrence had that same twinkle."

The result of that twinkle was thus--Oni walked into the house, and just as he entered the room, Lawrence and Eva mooned him! ( ! ) ( ! )

Deb said that Oni couldn't get out of the house fast enough facing his 68 year old grandparents' backsides!

Everyone at the funeral had a good laugh, including yours truly.

Take it or leave it, this is my family.

2 comments:

Laura said...

The Haugs have never been too big on words :)

mikehaug@gmail.com said...

Kevin,

I can't tell you how much we appreciated your words at the funeral. Our entire family felt blessed to remember all the facets of mom and your description of her stubborness being like the stubborn nature of God's love really hit home. Thanks a million and may you and yours continue being blessed.

Mike