Monday, August 4, 2008

Arkansas Vacation

Last week, my family and I traveled to Arkansas to visit my grandmother and grandfather who live in Bella Vista. Some might question our sanity in taking three children all under the age of four for a 12 hour car ride, but there are times when you throw caution into the wind.

My 92 year old grandmother is not doing so great. She's very weak, and has been on a downward trajectory for quite some time. After a recent visit from my aunt, we thought it best to get up there while she was still living and at least able to talk with us. Luckily, my parents made the journey up there with us. Thank God I bought that Yukon XL. All of us and our luggage fit without incident.

We actually broke the trip up into two parts. We left last Wednesday and drove to Palestine (that's Texas, y'all). After spending the night in a Super 8 Motel, we drove steadily and arrived in Bella Vista about 4 p.m. We first checked into the townhome we rented.

A little side note here: if you are traveling with children and are staying in a particular place for any length of time, do not, and I repeat, do not rent a hotel room. Get a vacation home or condo. It makes life soooo much easier!!

The next morning, my sister flew in with her two kids. My family and hers stayed in the townhome while mom and dad stayed with my grandparents. It worked out very nicely because the kids could take their naps, etc. in the townhome, and it didn't overtax my grandparents. Furthermore, because of the work of an aunt of mine, my grandparent's basement was transformed into a playroom for the kids. Whenever they had too much excess energy, down to the basement we went. They played down there and made sugar cookies with my mom. All in all the trip was a blast, and I'm thankful for the opportunity to see my grandparents before the inevitable happens.

Grandma Grote.


Grandpa Grote and my sister, Laura.
Kiera, Kaylee, and my niece, Payton on the townhome's balcony.
Townhome balcony view.
Making sugar cookies.

Two worn out Kevins.

2 comments:

Laura said...

Nice pics. Can you send me some of them?

The Hawg said...

They're on my laptop at work, so I'll get to them ASAP.