Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Birthday Surprise

It's hard to believe that my mom is 60 years old. It seems like just yesterday that she was helping me through my teenage years and offering up guidance and wisdom. Even though I might have entertained the thought that she (and dad) knew nothing, I really knew better. Those two have done more than their fair share in making me into the person I am today.

We wanted to do something special to help with celebrating this birthday for mom, so Dawna suggested a couple weeks ago that I take the day off on her birthday, drive down to Odem, and surprise mom. Working to keep things a surprise was most difficult; in fact, mom had her suspicions that something was up when I demanded to talk to dad without her on the phone. Oh well, it was still a good idea, and mom was extremely happy that we came down.

Kiera sang happy birthday to her, and shortly thereafter, she asked grandma if we could go to the beach. We then planned the weekend. We would go to my grandmother's home (Oma) in Robstown the first afternoon and then go to the beach the following morning. (The next couple of posts will detail these events.)

We called Oma and told her that we would be visiting that afternoon after the girls took their naps. She was very excited because she would be seeing Kevin, Jr. for the first time.

After we had lunch, the girls wanted to go outside and play. Their grandpa took them out into the back yard and did something with them that he used to do with me when I was their age: he dug a hole in the garden and let them play in it. What a sight that was!



Kaylee decided to get into the act.



Then Kiera broke out Grandma and Grandpa's horseshoe set.



All the work outside was sufficient enough to wear those two out so that we could head to Oma's house in the afternoon.

No comments: