Monday, November 24, 2008

Oh Crap!

This morning, at about 9:30, Dawna called the church and said, "Kevin, I think I threw out my back. I've got shooting pains, and I can't stand up."

My secretary, Sandy, has training in equine touch, and she has also gotten certified to work on homo sapiens as well. She came over with me and worked on Dawna's back a little. Through Sandy's work, Dawna's back relaxed a little, but was nowhere near being even 30%. Therefore, it was off to bed for Dawna, and my work day was done.

Luckily, Dawna is not completely incapacitated. She can now actually stand up and walk around SLOWLY. Her pain has steadily lessened and her ability to do things has increased as well. Time is going to tell how long it will take her to fully recover.

Unfortunately, this episode couldn't have occurred at a worse time. Most of our family has commitments for Thanksgiving, and I have a worship service on Thanksgiving Eve as well as our regular service on Sunday. I am hoping that she recovers enough for me to get a couple of sermons done.

Until she recovers enough, I'm doing mom and dad duty. That was very interesting today since Kiera had dance class. Normally, I take Kiera to class alone. Kiera and Kaylee sleep in different rooms so that when it's time to leave Kaylee isn't woken up and doesn't cry when she sees her sister leave. Kevin usually is asleep on Dawna at that time or still in bed as well. But not today. All three kids piled in the Yukon with Daddy as we headed to Bellville. What a trip that was. I feel for parents who have to do this all the time, especially with kids as close in age and as young as my three.

I was actually able to get Kiera to dance class, take Kaylee and Kevin to the park, get Kevin a short nap, pick Kiera up, and return home without too much trouble. The only hitch was Kevin getting hungry on the way home and crying for about 1/2 the trip. That's no big deal in the scheme of things because he has certainly cried for longer periods of time in the car. The girls were great trying to get him to calm down, so that was nice.

If Dawna doesn't progress much overnight or tomorrow, I guess a trip to the doctor will be in order. Thankfully (there's always a reason to give thanks.) our deductible is already paid because of Junior's birth earlier. So, if there is anything that needs to be done, I'll be pushing for this year.

No comments: