Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Feedsack Clothes

I was a little bummed out that I missed our Women's meeting this evening. The presenter did a presentation on the material that feed used to come in and the clothing that folks used to make out of it.

I had heard on numerous occasions from my parents and grandparents how they used to make clothes out of feed sacks. I somewhat found this hard to believe because the only thing I could picture was the burlap and paper bags that they use now. Boy, was the picture in my mind completely wrong.

I ended up taking the three kids over to the church for about 15 minutes of the meeting when the ladies were eating. The presenter was gracious enough to show me some of the materials, dresses, and shirts that her mother had made her and her brothers. The material was cool. It looked like it was picked up at a material shop, Hobby Lobby, or Wal-Mart. The clothes were nice. The only thing that separated them from clothing that you could buy in the store was the lack of a brand name tag.

I wish I were able to stay for the presentation when she talked about the history of the feedsacks as well, but I had to get home to feed Kevin, Jr. At least I can now connect the stories that my parents and grandparents told to actual clothes. It was kind of cool.

No comments: