Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Fall in Cat Spring

O.K. Cat Spring does not have the brilliance of fall colors that my sister has in North Carolina, but we still have some fall color around here.





The playground next to the church is a catch-all for many of the pecan and ash leaves that surround our house. Every year, I rake them up and use them as mulch in my garden.

This year, I thought it would be fun to let the girls play in the leaf pile. I actually started a pile yesterday afternoon while Dawna still wasn't able to get out or do much. I have decided that the Lord gave us two arms to rake leaves for a reason. Holding Junior and raking leaves at the same time was a tremendous workout for each arm for different reasons. I was able to get a decent pile going for the girls to begin with. However, since Dawna was really up and about today, I was able to go outside while the girls napped and put together a really big leaf pile. The girls had a blast with it.



Afterwards, we had all sorts of fun playing different games with the leaves including raining leaves, obstacle course, and bear in a cave. To play the last game, I took an old U-Haul box out from the time we moved to Cat Spring, opened it up, and raked the leaves all over it and around it. It was a pretty cool cave. Here's the raining leaves video:



One thing I did learn in this process: it's much less work raking leaves when you know your kids are going to be jumping in them and having fun with it.

1 comment:

Laura said...

You are so right about the raking. Plus, letting the kids play in the leaves does a nice job of mulching them up for you.