Sunday, November 23, 2008

Christmas Lights

One of my fondest memories of Christmastime growing up is when Mom, Dad, my sister and I would load up in the car and go look at Christmas lights. As kids, I think my sister and I drove our parents nuts by saying, "Ooooh Neato!" at every single house that had lights out.

I remember wanting my parents to put lights up on their house, but there was only one year that I can remember that they did this. The light show wasn't extravagent, but dad managed to hang some wires and create a Christmas tree out of lights. I thought it was pretty cool that we finally had lights out.

One of the things that I realize now is that Christmas lights were pretty expensive when I was a kid. My parents couldn't necessarily afford lights to put outside, so they did the next best thing and took us out to look. I treasure the time they put in to do this with us.

Fast forward to now. Kiera has been anxiously awaiting Christmas season. If we were driving after dusk, she would always ask to see Christmas lights. Dawna and I constantly had to tell her that it wasn't time yet. She'd pout for a moment, but get over it eventually.

I guess the price of Christmas lights has finally come down to the point where regular people can afford them (especially if you buy the AFTER Christmas) because we are actually able to put lights out at our house.



Kiera especially was thrilled that I put out the lights. She even came out and "helped" me by handing me some plastic holders. When we finally lit the place up, she couldn't hide her excitement. I let her and Kaylee stay outside well after the time we would normally have them inside, but they were enjoying the lights so much I was enjoying their enjoyment.



It won't be too long, and we'll load up the Yukon and go look at Christmas lights. We'll hear the kids come up with their own little sayings to describe what they see, and Dawna and I will smile knowing one day they will probably do the same with our grandchildren.

Thanks Mom and Dad for the traditions and the memories. Hopefully we'll do a decent job of passing them on.

No comments: