Wednesday, October 8, 2008

San Antonio Zoo



Today was one of those days that a parent lives for. I'm not saying it was a perfect day, but it was one of those days that I've dreamed about since becoming a dad. This morning, Dawna and I loaded up all the kiddoes and took them to the San Antonio Zoo. The weather was perfect, and the animals were all out. The girls were excited, and Kevin, Jr. didn't cry a lick as we celebrated his six month birthday.



We went from exhibit to exhibit, and the girls enjoyed themselves immensely. I had flashbacks to my childhood when Kiera would look at an animal for five seconds and then say, "I want to see something else." She'll learn patience one of these days.



The girls probably had the most fun at a section of the zoo especially set aside for kids six and under. They wanted to stay there a long time playing with all the things the zoo had available, and they weren't too keen on leaving. Fortunately, the petting zoo was next on the agenda. The girls had a great time feeding, petting, and brushing the goats.



From time to time, especially when we were between exhibits, Kiera would get bored, and she would say, "I want to ride the train now." Since the first time we rode the Brackenridge Park Train and ate popcorn during the ride, Kiera's been hooked. The day would not have been complete without another ride.

We bought tickets, popcorn, a Coke, and prepared to take a ride. Earlier, we had called Nona and asked if she would meet us for lunch. She agreed to meet us in front of the depot. It just so happened that she arrived right before the train was about to depart. She was able to purchase a ticket and ride with us--the icing on the cake for the girls.



It's amazing what goes through your mind when you do things with your kids that your parents did with you. I remember trips to Brackenridge Park with my parents when I was a kid, and the memories are very fond ones. Perhaps one day, Kiera, Kaylee, and Kevin will be able to one day do the same with their children. Knowing that I am working on leaving a legacy with my children inspires me. Even though the economy is in the tank, the stock market continues to head south, and presidential candidates lie and demean one another, when I am doing these things with my kids, everything is right with the world. There are the things that we worry about, and then there are the important things. Today was a reminder about which we should really focus on.

3 comments:

Laura said...

It looks like y'all had a great time. It's good to blog these kinds of days to look back upon when you have one of those not so good days :) Does KJ have red hair?

The Hawg said...

It definitely has a reddish tint. Don't know if he's a full-blown red head right now.

Angie said...

oooo, finally a redhead in the gang. I promise I won't corrupt him... too much. What a touching post, kevin. Loved it.