Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Dallas Wins! (Except, I didn't get to see the end.)

Last night, we had church council meeting. It finished up at about 8:15, and I headed home to watch my beloved Dallas Cowboys take on the Philadelphia Eagles (how those fans and that team come from a city that literally is translated "brotherly love" from Greek is beyond me.).

Anyhow, I walk in the door, and my wife greets me with the words, "The're kicking butt and doing great. If you start watching and they start doing bad, you'd better leave."

And what happens? Within minutes, Tony Romo throws an interception. A pass interference penalty on Anthony Henry, and Eagle's score. I remain in the living room watching. Eagles kick off. Cowboys muff the kickoff and end up on the five yard line. False start. Romo fumbles in the end zone. Eagles touch down.

This isn't looking good. I tell the girls its time for bed, and I head out of the room. While helping them brush their teeth, I hear that Dallas has the ball. As the girls are making their way to their room, I walk back in the living room, and Dallas has scored (my presence excepted).

Tuck the girls in, and head back in. Eagles score a touchdown. Take the garbage outside (I'm not watching), Cowboys kick a field goal.

The coincidences were a little much. I did get to see Marion Barber's great touchdown catch, but Philly scored again. It was too much for me. I went to take a shower.

Dawna comes in later and informs me Dallas scored a touch down and is finally ahead. I finish showering and decide that I'm better off staying away so that the 'Boys would win.

Dawna calls a couple of seconds later, "Might as well come back in. They're screwing up without you."

I walk in and see that the Cowboys had failed to convert a third down. The Eagles had the ball, and the 'Boys kept them to a third and one. Westbrook takes the hand off, tackled for a two yard gain, and a FIFTEEN YARD FACEMASK PENALTY. Are you kidding me?

I leave the room for good. I hear Dawna cheering as in the next series, Dallas' defense holds, sacking Donovan McNabb two times to end the last drive and run out the clock.

I sure hope this isn't the way things are going to work this year. I don't want to miss my 'Boys playing, as the saying goes, "Anything for the team."

1 comment:

TLO said...

Just want to let you know I still read your posts. Love you guys!