Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Holy Snow!

Last night as I was putting the girls to bed, Kiera said, "Daddy, ask Jesus for snow."

Daddy did what any daddy would do at that moment. I prayed for snow. After finishing, I told Kiera, "Now, we'll see if Jesus says, 'Yes.'" Little did I know...

The news had been saying that we had a chance for rain with a wintery mix, but since the temperature wasn't expected to be below freezing when this occurred, I wasn't too optomistic that we'd see any snow. And if we did, I didn't think we'd see any accumulation. Well...

About 2:30, I heard a strange sound at the church. I could tell it wasn't rain, so I came out of the office, and it was a wintery mix--sleet and snow. Believing that this would be the only chance we'd get to see snow, I raced home and got Kiera up from her nap. (Kaylee was dead asleep at the time.) I wrapped Kiera up in a blanket and took her outside to see the snow.



After checking out the snow for a few minutes, I took Kiera back inside and laid her back down. She was still pretty tired. I went back to work, called my parents and told them it was snowing. While talking, Dawna buzzed the office and said that Kaylee was up and wanted to see the snow too. Well, I raced back home and took them outside to see this rare occurrance. About 3:30, the snow stopped, and I thought we were through. Well...

We had a wonderful supper. I made chicken and dumplings that were absolutely hot and delicious. They really warmed you up! While eating, we had the news on, and, of course, the main story was the snowfall in Houston. They showed the radar, and it indicated that there was heavy snowfall right in Cat Spring! I went outside just to check things out. Well...



THE SNOW WAS ACCUMULATING!!!! I almost couldn't believe it. I raced inside and got Kiera and Kaylee to show them. All day they had talked about making a snowman, but there was very, very little on the ground. So, where would the snow accumulate so that they could build a (little) snowman?



THE TRAMPOLINE!! Of course. Dawna and I wrapped the girls up in their heavy sweaters, and I took them into the backyard. I rigged a halogen light that I bought a year ago, and they had plenty of light to work and play by.



The girls wanted a snowman, so Daddy put on his gloves to keep his hands from getting too cold. Needless to say, this is a South Texas snowman. Such snowmen are much, much smaller than their kin up north.



And what would snow on the ground (trampoline) be without a snowball fight?



You know, it's quite interesting that even though I am a pastor and someone who has faith, I really didn't believe Jesus would make it snow. I've got too much adult in me, but I know a little girl who really and truly believed that if she asked Jesus for snow, He would deliver. Consider it a lessoned learned. Thank God for Holy Snow!

No comments: